Monday, June 22, 2026

It broke down.

I have had a soother like this for years. It is from a line of toys that played different Mario tunes. Over in Chikakimu, Mario music is marketed as a good developmental tool for bloblings, similarly to how classical music is good for the development of babies over in real life. A crib mobile version of this soother/nightlight exists and it's quite neat as it also includes projection...

 

It looks similar to this wii prototype and plays several famous Mario pieces, although they are okay-at-best piano renditions. It's a toy. It's very obvious that it won't actually play the original recordings with the original instruments. I got mine when I was scared of the dark when I was three. You push the star, it lights up and plays those tunes (although they can be turned off) for about 9-10 min. This particular toy had pitch variants but mine played the songs in their original keys.

I've used it for most of my life and most nights I couldn't sleep without it. My divorced parents had to hear it every night growing up...

One of my parents ran a home improvement service, and one of the photos they'd use to show off their work was of one of my rooms around the time, and you could see the thing on my bed. Some nights I either was unable to use it (if i was away from home) or the batteries have died and made it sound absolutely TERRIFYING... so I had to hum the songs.

It's been on its last legs for the last few years, and when I went to press the star... it stopped working. It took 20 years, but it's fully worn.

They don't make this particular soother anymore (although the mobile counterpart was sold up until 2014, the soother was discontinued in 2010), but I am part of the Toy Club. It's neat as blobs come together and discuss the toys they've been messing with. They also do audio rips of toys that haven't had audio rips yet, and someone managed to record theirs. Same pitch and everything. Next time I visit, I should ask if I could have their unit.

Maybe I should ask Beso to fix my current unit, the one with so much sentimental value...

Or should I get inside and take a look at what's wrong?

I'll think about it later. The audio rip just isn't the same as hearing it from the actual toy... If I do fix it, then I will consider adding a 3.5mm output to plug it into myself... and I just realized it would sound exactly like the rip. So maybe not? 

I'll think of buying the mobile. It won't really be the same but it has the same song list... so I should be all set. 

If you want to hear the toy's audio, click here!!! 

BASS CAFES ARE BACK FOR REAL

*But only at night!! My wife works at one but instead of being a massive freak, she will jam with you!!!!!